The Society’s annual Outstanding Projects And Leaders awards are among the highest tributes a civil engineer can achieve.
The OPAL goes beyond recognizing single accomplishments to honor its recipients for successful careers demonstrating leadership and achievement. The five annual winners have been chosen for their success in construction, design, education, government, or management.
The honorees for 2017 are:
• In construction, Anne Bigane Wilson, P.E., CPC, M.ASCE, President, Bigane Paving Company – for senior level professionals whose primary responsibility is to oversee significant construction projects
• In design, Harry G. Poulos, Ph.D., DScEng, Dist.M.ASCE, Senior Consultant for Coffey Services Australia – for practitioners who are directly charged with hands-on design projects
• In education, Bruce R. Ellingwood, Ph.D., P.E., Dist.M.ASCE, NAE, Distinguished Professor of Civil Engineering, Colorado State University – for professors and deans whose careers are marked by achievements that direct or change the course of engineering education
• In government, Lt. Gen. Thomas P. Bostick, Ph.D., P.E., M.ASCE, former Chief of Engineers and Commanding General, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, now head of the Environment Sector, Intexon – for civil engineers at work on public service construction projects or those who direct and oversee large government projects
• In management, Anthony S. Bartolomeo, P.E., F.ASCE, NAC, Management, President and CEO , Pennoni Associates – for senior managers of an engineering organization, whose primary responsibility is to oversee and direct operations
This year’s OPAL winners will be honored at the 2017 OPAL Gala, March 16 in Arlington, VA. Profiles on each of the winners will appear in ASCE News in the weeks leading up to the gala.