Consider it the Hall of Fame of civil engineering. The best of the best.
Distinguished Member status is reserved for the most eminent of civil engineers in the Society. There are only 228 Distinguished Members among the Society’s current membership of over 150,000 people.
Meet the Class of 2017 Distinguished Members, as recently elected by ASCE’s Board of Direction:
• Bilal M. Ayyub, Ph.D., P.E., Dist.M.ASCE; University of Maryland professor of civil and environmental engineering and director of its Center for Technology and Systems Management
• Stephen A. Curtis, P.E., D.PE, Dist.M.ASCE; former program director of waterfront services, Collins Engineers
• Charles H. Dowding, Ph.D., P.E., D.GE, Dist.M.ASCE; associate chair of civil and environmental engineering (geotechnical specialty), Northwestern University
• George M. Filz, Ph.D., P.E., Dist.M.ASCE; Virginia Tech professor of civil and environmental engineering and director of its Center for Geotechnical Practice
• David J. Hammond, P.E., S.E., Dist.M.ASCE; member of California’s Menlo Park FEMA Urban Search and Rescue Task Force 3
• James O. Jirsa, Ph.D., P.E., Dist.M.ASCE, NAE; Janet S. Cockrell Centennial Chair in Engineering at the University of Texas, Austin
• Kincho H. Law, Ph.D., Dist.M.ASCE; Stanford University professor of civil and environmental engineering
• Richard N. Palmer, Ph.D., P.E., D.WRE, Dist.M.ASCE; University of Massachusetts, Amherst professor and head of civil and environmental engineering department
• John G. Tawresey, P.E., F.SEI, Dist.M.ASCE; vice president and chief financial officer, KPFF Consulting Engineers
The Distinguished Members will be formally inducted at the Celebration of Leaders Luncheon during the ASCE 2017 Convention, Oct. 8-11, in New Orleans.